Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018 Wrap-Up

It is time once again to list out my goals for the coming year.  Based on my performance in 2018, I have a great feeling about 2019.

Before I post my new list, let's recap. Here's how I ended up on my 2018 goals.  I'll start with the successes.

Accumulate and maintain six months' budget (Success)
Through effort and discipline, I have saved enough money to cover about six months of expenses if I were ever to lose my income.

Read 12 non-work related books (Success)
Thanks to audio books, I blew this number away by nearly four times.  I read 48 books, but I did end up counting textbooks among them.  Still, I read (or listened to) over 40 non-work related books.

Play at least one video game per week (Success)
I've played PS4 and Wii games with my kiddo, plus a few new PC games and mobile games.  If you count casual mobile games that only take a minute or two to play, then I do this more than once a week.

Increase frequency and regularity of contact with friends (Success)
I still don't have regular contact with all of my dear friends, but I do vastly better now than I ever did before.

Figure out my next career move (Success)
Well, I started a new job at Triton College this year!  That has turned out to be a great career move so far.

Improve flexibility and balance (Moderate success)
I am nowhere near where I had hoped to be with this goal, but I have improved a little.  I'm going to keep working at this in the coming year.

Walk 1000 miles (Outcome uncertain)
My old phone quit working about halfway through the year, and my pedometer stopped along with it.  I had no way to track my steps for over three months.  Before it stopped, I was ahead of schedule on this goal, so it is entirely possible that I met it.  However, I have no way to definitively assess it.  I will start again in the coming year and try for another thousand miles.

Play music every month (Failed)
Again, I did better at this goal than ever before, but still fell short.  Another goal to renew for 2019.

Decrease weight (Failed)
My weight had decreased in the beginning of the year, but came back with a vengeance and I ended up further from the goal than where I'd started.  I will renew this goal for the coming year.

Complete Testing Tutor prototype by May (Failed)
Nothing whatsoever had been accomplished by May.  Toward the end of the year, my student team had successfully completed a database design and some preliminary web design, and they had begun some research on how to implement some of the functional requirements.  Real progress is being made, and I am renewing this goal for the coming year but with a much better head start.

Rebuild my website (Failed)
I have experimented with some CSS rules for layouts, but have yet to apply it to my actual site.  This is not a priority at the moment.

In my next post, I will list my new goals for 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment